Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Coming out of my shell

Did I ever tell you that I once had my own talk show? It's true! I had my own radio show on WJBC the Net. But,don't let yourself be too impressed. It was Johnson University's Internet radio station. The name of my show was "Zachary Korff: Coming Out of His Shell." 

Named for my insatiable love of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and the fact that I was, indeed, coming out of my shell. I love radio, and always have. I had settled in as a co-host with several of my friends on WJBC such as Mac Fife, Drew Stewart, and "Nails". He and I took over Saturday nights together. 

But now I had my own show. This time, Nails joined me as my co-host. We played music, but I was more excited about the content of our show - talking about controversial issues of the faith. We "came out of our shells" to talk about the hard hitting issues no one else wanted to cover. It was a blast! 

When I say I've always liked radio, what I specifically mean is Talk Radio. As a young minister in training, I was nervous about having new content to express each and every Sunday morning. I asked my father-in-law, who had been a very successful preacher, how you keep yourself full of different things to say come Sunday morning. His answer was three fold: 

1. Read/watch/listen to the news
2. Read Books
3. Read God's Word

As a minister it would be important to know what Was going on in the  world, what people were saying about it, and finally, what God's word said about it. I choose to follow this advice, but I didn't have cable, and I wasn't much into reading the newspaper (for those of you who don't know what a newspaper is, it's kinda like the Internet, but in print form). So, radio was the medium I choose, and the love was born. 

Ironically, Tim and I would listen to the radio together and apart, and then talk about what we heard our favorite hosts saying, but Jesci, his daughter and my wife of 12 years, hates listening to talk radio. 

So when I finally had the opportunity to do my own radio show, I was excited to launch a theme that blended my favorite heroes in a half shell with my love for talk radio, and "Zach Korff: Coming out of his Shell" was born. 

As I type this up, we're nearing the 10th anniversary of when the show launched (January 2006). And I figured, since I sadly no longer have access to the radio to express my thoughts, perhaps a blog would be a good outlet. 

So, while it may not be as "entertaining" as listening to the sultry sound of my voice, I will aim to be just as entertaining, informative, and light hearted with my words here on this blog as I cover a wide variety of things that interest me, from faith matters, to geek matters, to family matters (not necessarily meaning the TV show). 

Thanks for reading! I'll include a picture of my old school flyer that I used to promote my radio show. 



2 comments: